Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lessons Learned on the Slopes

Yesterday, I went skiing for the second time in my life. The first time was about 9 years ago, and it was traumatic enough that I have had no desire to try it EVER again. But, somehow my brother and sister-in-law convinced me that I should give it another try. This time around, I actually loved it!! It was so much fun, in spite of some embarrassing and frustrating moments. I thought I would pass along some lessons I learned the hard way in case any of you decide to give skiing a try for the first time or just want to laugh at my awkward skiing moments.

Lesson #1: Stay clear of children until you get the hang of things. Do not even go near them. Chances are, you might lose control and end up plowing into a mother and her little girl, and all three of you will wipe out.

Lesson #2: When you are getting on the ski lift, make sure your skiis are not caught on something. If one of them does get caught on something, it will probably pop off, and you will not be able to pick it up because you will be long-gone on the ski lift. And, the ski lift workers will remember you EVERY time you come back to get on the ski lift.

Lesson #3: When you are getting ready to get on the ski lift, make sure you are far enough over that when you sit down, you actually sit ON the lift chair. If you are not far enough over, you will miss the lift chair, and it will hit you.

Lesson #4: If you are afraid to get off the ski lift, do not yell at the guy working at the top and ask him to slow the ski lift down. The momentum of the ski lift helps you get off the chair and down the little hill so you can get out of the way of the people behind you. If you ask them to slow the lift down, you might end up falling before you get out of the way, and you will not be able to get back up. They will have to stop the ski lift so you don't get hit by the people behind you. Then, the guy running the ski lift will have to come and help you up so that you can get out of the way and he can start the ski lift again.

Lesson #5: Do not wear a bright blue coat. It will make you stand out, and people will remember you if you do anything embarrassing.

So, there you have it. I think I had more issues with the ski lift yesterday than I did with the actual skiing part. It really was so much fun, though. I'm very grateful that my brother was so patient with me! Thanks for taking me Barry and Jodie!! Here's a picture of me coming down the mountain.

3 comments:

Kara and Chant said...

So funny! I haven't been skiing forever because of similar trauma, but I haven't been brave enough to go back. Have a great Christmas!

Jason and Bri Walker said...

Stacy- you make me laugh! I could just picture you doing all those things! I've only been skiing once and HATED it! My problem was just getting off the stupid ski lift without totally wiping out! Anyway, I hope you had a great Christmas! Give me a call before you head back!

Jenna Kae said...

i'm way lame. i grew up in utah and have never been skiing or snowboarding! you're cooler than me! but if i ever do go, i will remember your rules. thanks! :)