Every once in a while, I read or hear something that "changes my life." A few weeks ago, my cousin posted a link on facebook to this article (click here to read - you'll be glad you did). It talks about Jimmer Fredette and the sacrifices he made to become a professional basketball player (if you're not a Jimmer fan, don't worry - the whole article isn't about him). After reading this article, I came away with a greater perspective on what it truly means to sacrifice. Sometimes I get so caught up in the rush of day-to-day life that I forget what I really want out of life. I think we also live in a generation of instant gratification that teaches us we should be able to have whatever we want whenever we want it. However, I think to get the things of greatest worth to us, whether they be relationships, talents, etc., we have to prioritize and sacrifice to make it happen.
Someone once told me that Roger Williams (a famous pianist with crazy skills) was told by a fan that they wished they could play like him. He responded by saying something like "I'm not sure you really do, or you would be able to play the piano like me." I don't know if this conversation actually happened since I don't have the direct source of the story, but I think it illustrates a good point. The only difference between Roger Williams and his fan who wished he could play like him is that Roger Williams made the sacrifice to put in the blood, sweat, and tears to become the pianist that he is. Of course, we all have different talents that we are naturally born with (and things we are not so gifted at doing), but even the talents we are born with will go to waste unless we make the sacrifice to practice and develop them.
Anyway, I feel like I am rambling, but I just wanted to share this "life-changing" article with all of you.



2 comments:
Great reminder to prioritize and not be so lazy.
Thanks for sharing, Stace! I absolutely LOVED that article. It's so true!!! I sort of had that same realization while doing the play this summer. I've always said I'm not athletic or not good at dancing, but it was just this summer that it dawned on me I'm not good because I didn't ever put in the time! I've avoided sports for years, and with dance, I actually get decent when taking a class - but the class ends, and I didn't take it consistently in college to really do well. Now I'm trying to keep up what I gained doing "Joseph," but it's HARD to find the time with all the competing priorities and opportunities! When something matters enough, though, there's always a way to make it happen.
Post a Comment